Tuesday, September 27, 2011

THE ULTIMATE QUESTION WHEN STARTING TO RUN

I was told by a few followers that with my blogs that I’m not writing like me, that I need to put more of my personality in it.  So here’s a personal story about me today.

Starting up competitive running again after a month off, at least for me, dictates one and only question on a run….To shit my pants or to hold it in and try and make it?   

Let me explain, after a month off, my body had become acclimated to the terrible food I ate, the alcohol I drank, and the lack of movement my body did.   It becomes so used to it that my intestines/colon begins to forget how to completely purge itself of waste before a run.  Yes, I’m able to go to the bathroom before I leave for a run, but yes I can also go when I have a mile left in that run.  Just so we’re all clear, a mile is an eternity when it’s forcing itself out.  At this point, during my mileage run I typically run a mile in 7min.

Many of you are probably saying to yourself, “really Kyle, why don’t you just stop?” –Yes stopping will momentarily delay the poo, but then I’m forced to walk 18min to get home for that last mile clenching. 

Others ask, “Stop and use a bathroom!”-While yes, some places allow entry to a person who hasn’t bought anything; many places see a sweaty, shirtless man in short-shorts coming in with a turtle head about to explode.   It’s easy to get turned away.

So finally “Let it out!” is the last answer. - Myself like many runners I’m sure, are not unacquainted to this approach.  I lost it a few times during a run/workout with a couple to the fact that it wasn’t a fart.  But no one wants this.  I mean shorts are expensive. 

Coming back into competitive running isn’t all bad though. My figure is coming back into looking like an athlete again, my cardiovascular system is starting to improve, my sleep patterns are getting more on schedule, and I’ve still got my drive to win. I pushed hard today to make it to my toilet.  I could have stopped somewhere else, I could have walked, but I thought,  “HELL NO, I WANT MY TOILET”, so I clenched by butt cheeks, put my head down and started to roll.

I can say that today……………..I won. 


No, not every one of my blog’s will be like this.  But I will inform you all of my progress, my goods and bads, and truly what it takes to do this.  I love my sport and I love the challenges.  That’s why I’m planning on sharing all of my progress with you on my chase for the rings.  You want to know something, ask me. You want clarification on something, ask me.  Don’t be shy because obviously I’m not.



-Dedicated to Catherine and Mark-

2 comments: