Saturday, November 12, 2011

THE BIG "O"....XXX censorship

WARNING: Shit might get crazy….



This past week the Carding list for Athletics Canada athlete assistance program came out, and troublingly I wasn’t on it.  It stung a bit.  I tried hard last season to best my times, push my body, and put myself in the best opportunity to achieve this and it didn’t pan out.  Athletics Canada has set up their carding criteria not based on the best overall athletes but a scale of an age and performance.  Their thought is not what you have done but what you have the potential to do.  At a certain age, a benchmark performance is set to be hit.  My age, to get assistance from the government I need to run 1:46.11.  For me to qualify for the Olympics and compete as a Canadian athlete I need to run 1:46.30.  So AC wants me to represent them on an international level at the Olympics before they'll help me financially.  Wait, what...isn't that what the support is suppose to do?

Another frustrating point is ages and events are not equal.  Based on IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federation) points, people are receiving funding with a lesser point score than me. Every event, every performance, for both men and women, has a point score that can be related to one another.  So a 1:46.85 in the men’s 800m, and a Women’s Javelin throw of 63.31m is worth 1118 points.  On the list there are people with personal best who points would be equivalent to me running 1:49.29.

But it’s not just me who feels this sting.  There are many who are in the same situation.  However, AC has standards that need to be met and I didn’t achieve them.  So, I don’t deserve it.  I understand this.  If someone doesn’t meet the criteria set, one doesn’t make exceptions.  Then a special person in my life sent me a message and reminded me of something. I won’t tell you who this person is but let’s call her “Scotia”.

I started running because it’s something I enjoy.  I love the feeling of pushing my body to new limits.  Carding is set up to helping us achieve our goals.  It’s just help.  I don’t need athletics Canada’s approval to do this.  I don’t need them to say this is what I need to run.  I do this for me and me alone.  Then “Scotia” reminded me of something great; why I do this.
 
Chasing the big O;  It’s what we all want in life, the big orgasm.  Those little ones are great.  The day to day ones feel good and keep you going.  It keeps you hungry for more.  The little ones are the steps to achieving the overall goal.  I’ve had some great success in my life.  Practices and races have been great points of reference to what I’m doing this for but I want the best.  The big O……OLYMPICS!!!  It’s what I’m shooting for.  I’m going to keep pushing for it.  I always want more and I always want the best.  What the hell, aim big and shoot for it all.    I have a great support staff with friends, family and a couple ambassadorships  (RIVALUS, SAUCONY) to help along the way, and I’m pumped for this season. 

What’s your Big O…I know what mine is and I’m going for it.

1 comment:

  1. ah inadvertently using a title of an anime. priceless

    ReplyDelete